Our Lord Jesus Christ is known throughout the O.T. by this sevenfold name which describes His glorious character and His perfect redeeming work.
1. JEHOVAH-JIREH: the LORD will provide (Gen.22:14). This is a good description of our Lord's character. He has provided for His people everything necessary to secure our everlasting salvation (I Cor. 1:31; Eph. 1:3). In Christ Jesus there is nothing lacking (Phil.4:19; Rom. 8:32).
2. JEHOVAH-RAPHA: the Lord that healeth thee (Ex.15:26). How suitable is this name to describe the Lord Jesus Christ in taking our sins to Himself and making atonement for them. Isaiah said, "With His stripes we are healed" (Isa.53:5; Isa. 61:1-3; Psa. 103:1-4).
3. JEHOVAH-NISSI: the Lord our banner (Ex. 17:15). The Lord's banner over His people is the victorious gospel of Christ (Rom. 1:16). We fight the fight of faith under His direction (2Tim.4:7; Mark 16;15). We stand in defense of His truth by His grace (Phil. 1:17,27). God help us to hold up the banner of the gospel of God (Rom. 1:1-3) and to earnestly contend for the faith once delivered unto the saints (Jude 1:3).
4. JEHOVAH-SHALOM: the Lord our peace (Judges 6:24). Our Lord Jesus Christ made perfect and eternal peace with God through His precious blood atonement (Col. 1:20; I Peter 1:18-20). There is no condemnation in Him (Rom. 5:1; 8:1, 31-35) but everlasting reconciliation (2Cor. 5:17-21).
5. JEHOVAH-RAHA: the Lord my Shepherd (Psa. 23). Our Lord is called the Good Shepherd (John 10:11), the Chief Shepherd (1Peter 5:4) and the Great Shepherd (Heb13:20). Truly, this is a fitting name for such a great God and Saviour, Who justified and redeemed all the sheep from their sin and presents them before God faultless (Matt. 1:21; Col. 1:22; Jude 1;24).
6. JEHOVAH-TSIDKENU: the Lord our righteousness (Jer. 23:6). It is established in scripture that we cannot produce any acceptable righteousness of our own (Isa. 64:6; Rom. 3:9-20). The only hope any sinner has is the Lord Jesus Christ. He perfectly obeyed and honored God's holy law as the believer's substitute (Isa. 42:21; Phil. 3:7-9), thereby freely and sovereignly imputing a justifying righteousness to those who believe (Rom. 4:1-8; Acts 13:38-39).
7. JEHOVAH-SHAMMAH: the Lord is present (Ezek. 48:35). Our Lord has eternally promised that He would justly redeem His church (Rom. 3:24-26). Let us never entertain any concept that God, Who saved us, would one day abandon or forsake us (John 10:27-30). God has promised never to leave His church (Heb. 13:5; Matt. 28:20; Jude 1:24-25). God saves His people with everlasting salvation (Isa. 45:17; Heb. 7:25; Rev.21:1-6).
[ Home Page] - [Top of page]