The power of God that quickened us and made us to live spiritually is, in the Scriptures, compared with the power which raised Christ from the dead (Eph. 1:19-20). Christ died for our sins and was raised for our justification. We live because He lives; and we are free from sin because our Surety, Who bore our sin, is now free from them. But there is a likeness between His resurrection and our regeneration and quickening.
1. His resurrection is called a begetting. He is the first-begotten from the dead. Our regeneration is called a begetting (I Pet. 1:3).
2. His human body was lifeless in the grave, as natural men are dead in sin and without spiritual life (Rom. 5:12).
3. His human body could not raise itself, as we cannot give ourselves life (Jn. 6:63).
4. His resurrection was the pure, unaided work of God, as is our regeneration (Eph 2:1).
5. His resurrection led to His exaltation at the right hand of God and is where, in our representative, Jesus Christ, we are already seated (Eph. 2:6).
[Top of page]