Religion can motivate people to do many things. It can cause them to speak well of Jesus Christ, as Nicodemus; to reform the outward man, as the Pharisees; to hold high office in the church, as Judas; to get excited over an earthly kingdom, as those in Matt. 21:9; to be baptized, as Simon Magus; to give large gifts to the church, as Ananias and Sapphira; and to boast of great works, as those at the judgement in Matt. 7. But there are the essential works of grace in the heart of a sinner which only the Holy Spirit can effectually accomplish.
1. Only the Spirit of God can convince men of sin and give them broken hearts over THEIR SIN, sins, and even their righteousness.
2. Only the Spirit of God can cause sinners to justify God in their condemnation. Eternal condemnation would be our just reward.
3. Only the Spirit of God can lead men to look to the will of the sovereign Lord, and not to their own wills, for salvation. "Salvation is of the Lord."
4. Only the Spirit of God can wean sinners from all works, deeds, and merit and shut them up to CHRIST ALONE!
5. Only the Spirit of God can bring about peace with God and the peace of God which passes understanding, found in the hearts of His people!