"For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore YE SONS of JACOB are not consumed." (Mal.3:6).
Believers are often called "sons of Jacob." I believe I can give several reasons why they are called the sons of Jacob.
1. THE LORD LOVED JACOB. "Jacob have I loved." The reason was not found in Jacob but in the Lord. "Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that loved us and gave His son to be our substitute."
2. THE LORD CHOSE JACOB. "For the Lord hath chosen Jacob unto Himself" (Psa. 135:4). Has He not also chosen us in Christ before the foundation of the world?
3. THE LORD REVEALED HIMSELF TO JACOB AT BETHEL. Jacob was running away, but God met him at Bethel (the house of God) and revealed to him His grace and mercy in Christ. Thank God, He crossed our paths and revealed His gospel to us.
4. THE LORD GAVE JACOB A NEW NAME. "Thy name shall be no more Jacob (cheat) but Israel (a prince or son of God)." Beloved now, by His grace, we are sons of God! We have a new name and a new family.
5. THE LORD LED JACOB ALL THE DAYS OF HIS LIFE. "I am with thee and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, for I will not leave thee until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of." Do we not have the same promise? He that has begun in you a good work will finish it in the day of Christ (Phil. 1: 6).
[Top of page]