1. He is mine because the Father GAVE HIM TO ME! "Thou gavest them me" (John 17:6), and I am His because the Father gave me to Him (John 6:37).
2. He is mine and I am His BY A DIVINE UNION! As the vine and the branch, the head, and the body, my one husband is Christ (Eph. 5:28-32).
3. He is mine and I am His BY PURCHASE! He bought me, redeemed me from the law and justice by His precious blood (I Peter 1:18-19). I own that "I am not my own, I am bought with a price."
4. He is mine and I am His BY A MUTUAL AFFECTION! He loves me; that I CANNOT EXPLAIN except to say that the cause is found in His great heart. I CAN EXPLAIN why I love Him. "He is altogether lovely," and He has shed abroad His great love in my heart, enabling me to love Him and His.
5. He is mine and I am His FOREVER! The union of Christ and His church can no more be dissolved than can the trinity, "I IN THEM AND THOU IN ME" (John 17:21-23).
[Top of page]